Friday, January 30, 2009

Moralizing

I was reading the comments on this Newsweek article about life extension and got a little annoyed. Comments like this are easy to make when you are young and healthy:

Getting older and staying alive with drugs sounds so unnatural. I am 32 years old I have never taken any kind of real hard drugs prescribed or other wise and I look like I am no older than 17 years old if not younger.
I myself am 32 years old and can pass for mid twenties. But now that I am a mother of 2 small children, I have really come to fear death in a way that is new and unfamiliar to me. I want to be here to see my children grow, marry, have kids and see great-grandchildren. And I want my parents too to be able to live long enough to see great-grandchildren. I love my husband and I want to spend many, many more years with him.

Not only do I want to live a long time ( and have my loved ones live long too), I want us all to be in good health. There is no use in being old if you are not healthy and vibrant as well. It looks like TA-65 can do that for some people. And if you can afford the $18,000 to add years to your life (and life to your years) then who are we to judge if that money is well spent? Or it its "wrong" or "unnatural" to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment